What does health mean to you?

Many years ago, I started a personal project to try to discover "What does health mean to you?"  I created a circle on paper made out of the word "health" in the six official languages of the United Nations - English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, and Chinese.  I encouraged individuals and groups to write, draw or somehow define and communicate what health meant to them within that circle of words.  I researched what the word health looked like in all of the languages available on Google Translate.  I researched the word health in an aboriginal language - Mi'kmaq as well as the word health in American Sign Language as well as braille.  I thought that by seeing all the ways that health is communicated might give me some insight into what health actually meant.  It was only much later & after tremendous work that I discovered I was actually asking the wrong question.  I needed to be asking, "What does health mean to me?"  I am still on that journey trying to find out what health means to me.  All fir now - s8)

This is the link to the health book I created - the one where I asked the wrong question... Copy of Health.Book.2014.docx - Google Docs

ps - my mindful moment today is to be mindful of the questions we ask.  An elder in my life once taught me, "A question well worded is a question half-answered..." I need to be more mindful of the questions I ask of others.  My family members will frequently answer my questions with, "What do you think?"  And they are correct, if I had thought, really thought about the question I was asking I might not have needed to ask a question in the first place, or perhaps there is a different question I could be asking: "What does health mean to me?" Someone told me recently that the word listen and the word silent are made up of the same letters.  This is not a coincidence.  To listen requires being silent.  I need to make room fir more silence in my life...

Comments